Amanda-Users

Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq

2007-07-26 06:54:53
Subject: Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq
From: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 03:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

>There was no tape in your drive/changer or it was not writeable (write
>protected, broken tape, no tape with valid label,...)

Actually I am using tapeless. I made HDD as virtual tape (tapetype
HARD-DISK). The tape was writable (drwxrwx---), I think it could be broken
tape because I found "slot 13: not an amanda tape (Read 0 bytes)" when
amcheck. How do I recover the broken tape or have to recreate a new tape ?

>If the folder isn't empty, you have to run amflush, if you want to have
your
>data on tape.

I cant run amflush and it sent me email as error like this "*** A TAPE ERROR
OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found]"

>Amanda can't do a full dump on your tape, because of to less space. And
>without having a full dump, Amanda can't do an incremental dump. This could
>happen if you only use one tape and the estimated size is compressed (if
you
>use compression) bigger than your tape. Or you use more tapes and you don't
>use splitting, ...

here is my amanda.conf settings:
runtapes 1
use 60000 Mb (holdingdisk) of 1.1T HDD
I don't think the compression size is bigger than tape. Can u guys suggest
me what should I do? Run multiple tapes with splitting? I've no idea how to
do splitting. Pls advice.

>Seams you have too less tapes configured for one dumpcycle. Dumpcycle is
the
>number of of days in a backup cycle (e.g. one week). Amanda tries to do a
full
>backup at least this often (e.g. once per week). When you have e.g.
>runspercycle=7 (how often you let amanda do amdump in dumpcycle) and a
>tapecycle of 6, then amanda had to overwrite the first tape again to do the
>backup on the last day. And this is what the message means. You can't
>overwrite the tape, because you could never do a restore then, because of
the
>overwritten first tape. Amanda prevent you doing that.

here is my amanda.conf settings:
dumpcycle 14 days
#runspercycle 20 (commented)
tapecycle 14 tapes
bumpsize 20 Mb
maxdumpsize -1

>Somethings wrong with your changer. :-) Any more information?

here is my amanda.conf settings:
tapedev "/dev/null"
tpchanger "chg-multi"
#changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer" (commented)
#changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status" (commented)
changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"
#changerdev "/dev/null" (commented)

>Amanda clients running? Firewalls? Any messages inside the logs?

Amanda client is running checking by netstat -auv and /etc/initd/xinetd
status. I didn't change the firewall. I think if firewall is blocked I will
be return failed or missing in dump summary. I got error "cannot overwrite
active tape" in logs. I already refer to this
http://www.amanda.org/docs/faq.html#id345570 but he asked me to use amrmtape
and will delete information about backups stored in that tape from the
Amanda databases. Any good solutions instead of removing the tape?

Sorry and Thanks.