Amanda-Users

Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq

2007-07-24 23:46:45
Subject: Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq
From: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

fedora schrieb:
> Questions:
> 1) "No writable valid tape found". What does it mean?

There was no tape in your drive/changer or it was not writeable (write
protected, broken tape, no tape with valid label,...)

> Actually I am using tapeless. I made HDD as virtual tape (tapetype
> HARD-DISK). The tape was writable (drwxrwx---), I think it could be broken
> tape. How do we know the tape is broken or not? Do I need to delete the
> broken tape and do amlabel again if the tape broken?
>

> 2) Do I need to run amflush? I found out a folder in holding disk dated 23
> July 2007.

If the folder isn't empty, you have to run amflush, if you want to have your
data on tape.

> If I run amflush, would it same integrity with actual files in client? Why
> does it remains in holding disk? Is it because it can't  writing to tape?
>

> 3) "can't switch to incremental dump". What does it mean? (causing failed
> for the dump summary "domin11 -/lib/mysql 0 FAILED......." )

Amanda can't do a full dump on your tape, because of to less space. And
without having a full dump, Amanda can't do an incremental dump. This could
happen if you only use one tape and the estimated size is compressed (if you
use compression) bigger than your tape. Or you use more tapes and you don't
use splitting, ...

> here is my amanda.conf settings:
> runtapes 1
> use 60000 Mb (holdingdisk) of 1.1T HDD
> I don't think the compression size is bigger than tape. Can u guys suggest
> me what should I do? Run multiple tapes with splitting? I've no idea how
> to do splitting. Pls advice.
>

> 4) "cannot overwrite active tape DailySet1*".  What does it mean?

Seams you have too less tapes configured for one dumpcycle. Dumpcycle is the
number of of days in a backup cycle (e.g. one week). Amanda tries to do a
full
backup at least this often (e.g. once per week). When you have e.g.
runspercycle=7 (how often you let amanda do amdump in dumpcycle) and a
tapecycle of 6, then amanda had to overwrite the first tape again to do the
backup on the last day. And this is what the message means. You can't
overwrite the tape, because you could never do a restore then, because of
the
overwritten first tape. Amanda prevent you doing that.

# man amanda.conf
- > tapecycle
This is calculated by multiplying the number of amdump runs per dump cycle
(runspercycle parameter) times the number of tapes used per run (runtapes
parameter). Typically two to four times this calculated number of tapes are
in
rotation.

> here is my amanda.conf settings:
> dumpcycle 14 days
> #runspercycle 20 (commented)
> tapecycle 14 tapes
> bumpsize 20 Mb
> maxdumpsize -1
>

> 5) "taper: changer problem: 11 file:/backup/amanda/dumps/tape11". What
> does
> it mean?

Somethings wrong with your changer. :-) Any more information?

> here is my amanda.conf settings:
> tapedev "/dev/null"
> tpchanger "chg-multi"
> #changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer" (commented)
> #changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status" (commented)
> changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"
> #changerdev "/dev/null" (commented)
>

> 7) Lastly, all my client servers got N/A result for the taper stats accept
> domain11. Why?
Amanda clients running? Firewalls? Any messages inside the logs?

> No error in logfiles. Amanda client is running checking by netstat -auv
> and /etc/initd/xinetd status. I didn't change the firewall. I think if
> firewall is blocked I will be return failed or missing in dump summary.
> However the dumper stats has value.  May I know in this situation is the
> backup successfull?
>
> DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                        DUMPER STATS               TAPER
> STATS
> HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-MB  OUT-MB  COMP%  MMM:SS   KB/s MMM:SS
> KB/s
> doamin1 -/lib/mysql 1    5782    1307   22.6  651:09   34.3   N/A    N/A
> domain2 -/lib/mysql 1       0       0   10.0    0:01    1.1   N/A    N/A

Any helps would be appreciated.