Amanda-Users

Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server

2007-06-25 13:05:30
Subject: Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:59:39 -0400
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:43:50PM -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> then I created a dumptype that was the same as my regular dumps but with
>
> record no
> strategy incronly
>
> I thought this would work, because the incremental would be based on
> ufsdump, and it would know there had been a full, even though it was a
> different configuration.
>
> Apparently, I've got this wrong. I'll check through the documentation,
> but I thought someone on the list might have done something like this or
> know either that it can't be done or how to do it as well as why.
> (Possibly, amanda interprets incronly as "iff there has already been a
> full at some time under this configuration.")

ufsdump might have been able to figure out from which date to do the
incremental, `IF' it had been asked to do an incremental.

However, as this was a new config, amanda "knew" there had never been
a level 0 for this config.  And of course it must start from a level 0
to do the incrementals.  Even on a config meant to do incronly strategy
you must do an initial full dump.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)