Amanda-Users

Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server

2007-06-25 07:35:10
Subject: Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:25:25 -0400
On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 11:43:26PM -0700, Rudy Setiawan enlightened us:
> I am trying to create backup servers out of the following specs:
> P4 3.0Ghz
> 1GB RAM
> RAID0 - 750GB x 2 (SATA)
>
> Hosts to backup: about 20 hosts with roughly 100GB each host.
>
> What will be the complications and the limitations?
> And also what are the recommendations?

You realize that by using RAID 0, you are doubling the chance of losing all
of your backups, because there is NO redundancy - so if either of your disks
has a problem, you lose the entire array. If it is only temporary and you
are then moving the data to something else, that might be all right, but I
wouldn't feel comfortable with my backups (or anything other than scratch
space, really) being on RAID 0. I would use RAID 1, or if you have disks to
spare RAID 10.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak