Amanda-Users

Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server

2007-06-26 09:49:33
Subject: Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:41:13 -0500
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:29:52AM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you may even erase (some of) the
> holdingdisk files, without flushing. I think that Amanda will take into
> account that the holdingdisk file disappeared, and schedule the same
> incremental level again (or a level 0 if due).  Because there is no
> equivalent to amrmtape for a holdingdisk file, and, there are at least
> some things implemented that detect the loss of an holdingdisk file.
> Would be nice if someone could confirm this.

You're half-right -- Amanda will not try to flush a missing file, but it
will not take missing files into account in the planner.

Amanda-2.5.2 and later has 'amadmin <conf> holding delete' which can
delete holding files and adjust the 'curinfo' database accordingly, such
that the appropriate level of dump will take place next time.

Also, note that 'amdump' takes a [ hostname [ diskname ..] ] argument,
if you only want to dump certain DLEs.

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell