Amanda-Users

Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server

2007-06-25 15:04:18
Subject: Re: suggestion for a disk-to-disk backup server
From: "Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: "Rudy Setiawan" <rudal999 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:59:59 +0200 (CEST)
Rudy Setiawan schrieb:
> With the number of hosts that I have,
> what are the best configuration such as, should I separate each file for
> each host or I can dump them into one huge file?
Amanda backup every DLE into a single file, except you specify
tape_splitsize. This could be usefull, if your filesystem has a better
performance with smaller files (e.g. 3-5 GB) instead of huge files (e. g.
100 GB). Also you should have a look to the maximum filesize of your
filesystem.

> Will it make a difference in the speed of either backup,restoration or
> cataloging?
I think the speed of writing/reading a huge file or some smaller pieces
depents on the filesystem you are using. You can look here for some
comparisations: http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html

Only the restore of a DLE could be interrupted when it`s spanned across
multiple tapes, because you have to "insert" the new tape.

> Other system/amanda configuration that can be suggested to improve the
> speed of the restoration and backup?
You can improve the speed in thinking about the raidlevel (e. g. Raid5),
the filesystem, a separate Raid-Controller for the OS and the disks you
store the backup on,....

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost