Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush doesn't?

2007-05-31 11:45:44
Subject: Re: autoflush doesn't?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:40:00 -0400
On Thursday 31 May 2007, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:25:58AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> It seems we haven't an autoflush function anymore.  It did not flush
>> yesterday mornings EOT leftovers this morning, so I am doing it by hand.
>> This shouldn't be required when there is a line:
>>
>> autoflush    yes
>>
>> in my 'Daily' amanda.conf
>>
>> This is (brought to you by Amanda version 2.5.2-20070525), on an uptodate
>> FC6 system running kernel 2.6.22-rc3 on an AMD XP-2800 cpu.
>
>Did the 'amflush' work?  If not, then what is your "usetimestamps"
>setting, and what does your holding disk look like?
>
>Please send part of an ls -lR /path/to/holding/.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dustin

Humm, odd indeed.  I did get an email from the amverify phase of flush.sh, but
the sub-terminal and shell I ran it from are gone!  And I did not get an
email from the flush itself, nor did it delete whats in the holding disk.

[root@coyote ~]# grep usetimestamps /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf
# the usetimestamps option is enabled, however, Amanda can track as many
usetimestamps yes

[root@coyote ~]# ls -lR /dumps
/dumps:
total 4
drwx------ 2 amanda disk 4096 May 30 01:58 20070530000504

/dumps/20070530000504:
total 6052
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   43008 May 30 01:58 coyote._bin.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk  301829 May 30 01:55 coyote._etc.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   33202 May 30 01:58 coyote._GenesAmandaHelper-0.5.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk  322447 May 30 01:55 coyote._opt.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk  126895 May 30 01:56 coyote._tmp.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk 2224128 May 30 01:53 coyote._usr_dlds.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   73728 May 30 01:56 coyote._usr_dlds-misc.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   43008 May 30 01:58 coyote._usr_dlds-rpms.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   43008 May 30 01:57 coyote._usr_games.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk  219822 May 30 01:55 coyote._usr_include.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   53248 May 30 01:57 coyote._usr_kerberos.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk 1148984 May 30 01:55 coyote._usr_libexec.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   63488 May 30 01:56 coyote._usr_man.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   63488 May 30 01:57 coyote._usr_movies.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk  114688 May 30 01:56 coyote._usr_pix.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk 1213165 May 30 01:55 coyote._usr_share.1
-rw------- 1 amanda disk   33010 May 30 01:58 coyote._usr_X11R6.1
[root@coyote ~]#

Htop can't find any leftover amanda stuffs.

Now, it gets even more interesting!  On inspecting the mail from the amverify
run my script does after the flush, the listing for vtape #9 which the flush
should have reused, is all old, dated from the run on the 12th of may.

My script keeps a log in /tmp, overwritten each run, so a perusal of that
might help, brb.  More things that make you go hummm..

>From that log:
./flush.sh started on 31/05/07 09:17:13 with arg Daily
CONFIGNAME = Daily
First put the tapelist in order with a run of amcheck
running /usr/local/sbin/amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 63910 MB disk space available, using 63410 MB
slot 8: read label `Dailys-8', date `20070531000504'
cannot overwrite active tape Dailys-8
slot 9: read label `Dailys-9', date `20070512000503'
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-9 label ok
Server check took 0.941 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.463 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.2-20070525)
Back in ./flush.sh - and the lists should be sane
line 72 ./flush.sh tapenum from /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/chg-disk-slot is
now=9
TAPECYCLE=20
RUNTAPES=1
This script is being run as ./flush.sh
Backup script running amflush -bf Daily
Scanning /dumps...
  20070530000504: found Amanda directory.
Could not find any valid dump image, check directory.
======see above ls -lR inclusion, looks ok to me.  A real BUG?========
flush of 1 complete, appending index and config files
============did it?  yes, they were replaced as expected============
INDICE_PATH in bak-indice-configs now=/usr/local/var/amanda
Tapelist file to be used TAPELIST=/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tapelist
tapename=Dailys-8, tapenum=8
Line 62 failed first try from dd.report.8 so now trying to get tape usage
count from dd.report.Dailys-8
Line 65 Tape use count from dd.report.Dailys-8 = 4
line 68 Tapeusecount is now=4
This tape Dailys-8 has now been used 5 times
INDICE_PATH=/usr/local/var/amanda, CONFPATH=/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily
This script is being run as  /GenesAmandaHelper-0.6/flush-indices-configs
Daily
using tape Dailys-8
=========humm, wrong but while I need to fix, is immaterial right now========
========Dailys-8=/amandatapes/Dailys/slot8, is yesterdays backup=============
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
Parts written = 31 >> dd.report.Dailys-8
=========also wrong, so look at that file too=============
=========its dated this morning at 9 something when I ran the flush===
=========but, except for the updated usecount in line 1, its all old info====
Using a vtape, so copying the indices & configuration to the vtape data dir.
The script /GenesAmandaHelper-0.6/flush-indices-configs is finished.
flush-indices-configs is done and completed successfully.
Now we run amverify starting it on the first tape or vtape used
Running /usr/local/sbin/amverify Daily 9 1
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Rewinding...
Rewinding...
./flush.sh is done, exiting

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'm having an EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!!  But, uh, WHY is there a WAFFLE in
my PAJAMA POCKET??