Amanda-Users

Re: amdump - backup error

2007-05-30 17:23:07
Subject: Re: amdump - backup error
From: "Jeanna Geier" <jeanna AT webteam DOT net>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>, Jeanna Geier <jeanna AT webteam DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:47:57 -0500
Thanks for all of your replies and help with this!

I do have SEVERAL "GNUTAR" dumptype parameters
declared...is there an issue with having more than one in
my conf file??  I added the last one in the block per the
WIKI instructions
(http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Test_environment_with_virtual_tapes),
otherwise, the rest were already present in there...

<excerpt from my amanda.conf file>

# defining parameters.

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    # This is quite useful for setting global parameters,
so you don't have
    # to type them everywhere.  All dumptype definitions in
this sample file
    # do include these definitions, either directly or
indirectly.
    # There's nothing special about the name `global'; if
you create any
    # dumptype that does not contain the word `global' or
the name of any
    # other dumptype that contains it, these definitions
won't apply.
    # Note that these definitions may be overridden in
other
    # dumptypes, if the redefinitions appear *after* the
`global'
    # dumptype name.
    # You may want to use this for globally enabling or
disabling
    # indexing, recording, etc.  Some examples:
    # index yes
    # record no
    # split_diskbuffer "/raid/amanda"
    # fallback_splitsize 64m
}

define dumptype always-full {
    global
    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
    compress none
    priority high
    dumpcycle 0
}

# Dumptypes for gnutar
define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
#   exclude list "/usr/src/amanda/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

define dumptype user-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype user-tar-span {
    root-tar
    tape_splitsize 3 Gb
    comment "tape-spanning user partitions dumped with tar"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype high-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    priority high
}

define dumptype comp-root-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype comp-user-tar {
    user-tar
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype comp-user-tar-span {
    user-tar-span
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype holding-disk {
    global
    comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
    holdingdisk never # do not use the holding disk
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-user {
    global
    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast
machines"
    compress client fast
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-user-span {
    global
    tape_splitsize 5 Gb
    comment "Tape-spanning non-root partitions on
reasonably fast machines"
    compress client fast
    priority medium
}

define dumptype nocomp-user {
    comp-user
    comment "Non-root partitions on slow machines"
    compress none
}

define dumptype nocomp-user-span {
    comp-user-span
    comment "Tape-spanning non-root partitions on slow
machines"
    compress none
}

define dumptype comp-root {
    global
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
    priority low
}

define dumptype nocomp-root {
    comp-root
    comment "Root partitions without compression"
    compress none
}

define dumptype comp-high {
    global
    comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
    compress client best
    priority high
}

define dumptype nocomp-high {
    comp-high
    comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
    compress none
}

define dumptype nocomp-test {
    global
    comment "test dump without compression, no
/etc/dumpdates recording"
    compress none
    record no
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-test {
    nocomp-test
    comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates
recording"
    compress client fast
}

define dumptype custom-compress {
   global
   program "GNUTAR"
   comment "custom client compression dumped with tar"
   compress client custom
   client_custom_compress "/usr/bin/bzip2"
}

define dumptype server-encrypt-fast {
   global
   program "GNUTAR"
   comment "fast client compression and server symmetric
encryption"
   compress client fast
   encrypt server
   server_encrypt "/usr/sbin/amcrypt"
   server_decrypt_option "-d"
}

define dumptype client-encrypt-nocomp {
   global
   program "GNUTAR"
   comment "no compression and client symmetric encryption"
   compress none
   encrypt client
   client_encrypt "/usr/sbin/amcrypt"
   client_decrypt_option "-d"
}

define dumptype comp-tar {
   program "GNUTAR"
   compress fast
   index yes
   record no    #important! avoid interfering with prod
runs
}

# To use gpg public-key encryption, gpg does compress with
zlib by default.
# Thus, no need to specify compress

#define dumptype gpg-encrypt {
#    global
#    program "GNUTAR"
#    comment "server public-key encryption, dumped with
tar"
#    compress none
#    encrypt server
#    server_encrypt "/usr/sbin/amgpgcrypt"
#    server_decrypt_option "-d"
#}

# network interfaces
#
# These are referred to by the disklist file.  They define
the attributes
# of the network interface that the remote machine is
accessed through.
# Notes: - netusage above defines the attributes that are
used when the
#          disklist entry doesn't specify otherwise.
#        - the values below are only samples.
#        - specifying an interface does not force the
traffic to pass
#          through that interface.  Your OS routing tables
do that.  This
#          is just a mechanism to stop Amanda trashing your
network.
# Attributes are:
#       use             - bandwidth above which amanda
won't start
#                         backups using this interface.
 Note that if
#                         a single backup will take more
than that,
#                         amanda won't try to make it run
slower!

define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 1000 kbps
}

define interface le0 {
    comment "10 Mbps ethernet"
    use 400 kbps
}

# You may include other amanda configuration files, so you
can share
# dumptypes, tapetypes and interface definitions among
several
# configurations.

#includefile "/usr/local/amanda.conf.main"

Thanks,
-jg

 http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda.conf#DUMPTYPE_SECTION