Amanda-Users

Re: gtar and related issues

2007-05-23 11:08:55
Subject: Re: gtar and related issues
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:03:34 -0500
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:37:46AM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> General suggestion (maybe I already suggested that sometimes):
>
> Why not test for the version of tar inside amanda?
>
> configure could test for it at compile-time, amcheck at check-time.
> Grep "tar --version", compare the result with a list of good and bad
> tar-releases, WARN if a known problematic version is detected.
>
> Optionally add a parameter to turn that check off, for people who want
> to override that out of specific reasons.
>
> Wouldn't that be better than relying on (new) users to research that
> information, possibly AFTER running into problems?

That's a great point!  It would also be great to have the relevant
versions more prominently displayed in the wiki -- currently the
relevant documentation is scattered in a few forum posts and mailing
list archives.

I'm swamped at the moment, so any help would be appreciated -- anyone
want to produce a configure.in patch and/or edit up the wiki?

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell
        Storage Software Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.