Amanda-Users

Re: amanda upgrade questions

2007-05-10 19:57:45
Subject: Re: amanda upgrade questions
From: dustin AT zmanda DOT com
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 01:29:22 -0500
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 09:38:20PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
>    2.5 seems pretty scary. I see a lot of problems on the list. Is it
>    stable, or is it experimental ?

2.5.2 is a stable release.  A lot of the recent problems have been small
bugs that occurred in configurations not tested during the beta phase.
That is to say, the release itself is in no way "experimental", but the
testing process could use some work -- that's a discussion I would be
happy to have here, but in another thread.

As for upgrading -- you're contemplating a rather significant version
bump, and I personally hesitate to answer because I'm not very confident
that I'll be right[1].  I suspect others may be reticent for similar
reasons.

I think that things will go smoothly for you in an upgrade, as Amanda
development remains fairly conservative in maintaining backward
compatiblity.  The port-range options still exist and do the same thing.
I *think* that the on-disk formats and the on-the-wire network protocols
are also compatible; hopefully someone will reply loudly to this email
if I'm wrong about that.

Probably your best bet is to just try it out in as "safe" a manner as
you can muster.

Dustin

[1] I was absent from the Amanda "scene" from somewhere in 2.4.4 to
about 2.5.1, so I'm not familiar with the transition.

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell
        Storage Software Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.