Amanda-Users

Re: restore not finding all incremental levels

2007-04-19 21:11:16
Subject: Re: restore not finding all incremental levels
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:04:34 -0700

  --received from Jon LaBadie--

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 03:31:33PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> >   --received from Jon LaBadie--

> > > I would presume that this is a fairly stable, unchanging storage.
> > > I base that guess on the fact that the last full backup was May 2005
> > > and the first incremental a year later in May of 2006.  Another clue
> > > is that the incrementals haven't been moved from the holding disk
> > > to tape (physical or virtual) in the last year.
> >
> > So, as I continue to look at the problem, I haven't seen before
> > that an amflush is require for the directories on holding disk to
> > be included in a recovery yet . . . this kinda of seems to be the
> > case now (that is as much a question as it is a statement).  I see
> > in the amindexd.###.debug log that it is trying to "gzip -dc ... "
> > files in the amanda index directory for the disk being restored
> > yet these files don't exist.  For instance, the log says this is
> > being executed
> >
> >      /bin/gzip -dc '/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6.gz'
> > 2>/dev/null | sort > '/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6'
> >
> > yet "/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6.gz" does not exist;
> > It is instead on the holding disk.
>
> This surprises me, are you sure your index files are on the holding disk?
> I.e. you can "ls /etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6.gz"
> and it is not there, but it is on the holding disk?  What is its
> holding disk path?  I may have missed it, but I didn't think index
> files ever end up on the holding disk.

Ack!  Sorry, Jon.  Once again I'm not being very clear.

What I mean to say is that a file in the index directory, namely
/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6.gz, does not exist (as
amindexd appears to be looking for) yet the backup IS indeed on
the holding disk, ie.  /../daily1/22070331/cass246._.6.

I guess another way to put this is to say there is not a .gz file in
the index directory for any incremental backup on the holding disk.  If
there should be, then things are really screwed up (and I have no idea
how I would have unintentionally deleted them)!  I'm thinking that this
would only be the case if I've run amflush (which I have never run).
The only .gz files in the index directory for this particular disk are
the two "tape" runs I've made.  All other backups are still on the
holding disk and do not have a representative .gz file in the index
directory.  Is this not the way it should be?

Thanks again to Jon and Jean-Louis for all the help!

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu