Amanda-Users

Re: Trouble with Quantum DLT-S4 tapedrive

2007-04-19 20:27:30
Subject: Re: Trouble with Quantum DLT-S4 tapedrive
From: Richard Stockton <amanda AT richardleestockton DOT org>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:21:34 -0700
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your response.

At 12:29 PM 4/19/2007, you wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 at 12:10pm, Richard Stockton wrote

At 10:58 AM 4/19/2007, Toomas Aas wrote:

Are you able to write any significant amount of data (more than Amanda's 32 kB label) to tape with utilities such as dump or tar?

No.  tar gives "Write error: Operation not permitted".

That's a different error than amanda is getting. What user did you try this as? Try again with root and/or the amanda user.

Tried as both amanda and root, same error both times.

I'm at a loss here, is anyone else using the Quantum DLT-S4 with amanda?
I would appreciate any enlightenment or ideas of what to try next.

So far this looks like an OS/hardware issue, *not* an amanda issue. Work on being able to read/write (with dump or tar) large amounts of data from/to your tape drive. Once you've got that working without issue, bring amanda back into the equation.

Sounds reasonable.

As to the original system logs you posted, I agree with Toomas that it looks awfully like a hardware or driver issue. Perform all the usual SCSI voodoo (do *not* skip the goat sacrifice), and possibly swap out any components/cables you can.

I couldn't find a willing goat, but I've done everything else I can think
of.  I will try Quantum support tomorrow.

Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate it, and if anyone has specific
FreeBSD 6.2 with Quantum DLT-S4 information, please let me know.
Thanks again.
 - Richard