Amanda-Users

Re: restore not finding all incremental levels

2007-04-19 18:39:30
Subject: Re: restore not finding all incremental levels
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:31:33 -0700

  --received from Jon LaBadie--

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 07:13:09PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> > Hi, I'm testing my backup system and am finding something unexpected.
> >
> > I'm using amanda 2.4.4p3-1 on a server running RedHat linux ES 4.
> > The restore I'm attempting is performed all on the server using a
> > spare disk on the server.
> >
> > When I run amrecover and add--"add ."--a partition that has 7 levels of
> > incrementals and then type "list", it shows the tape (actually the
> > server is a tapeless server so it is really on disk) with the original
> > full backup on it and then levels 6 and 7 on the holding disk.  All
> > other levels are skipped.  Levels 1-5 are not included in the
> > planned restore.
> >
> > I would expect it to restore the latest of each incremental level
> > 1-7.  I currently have several holding disks and can confirm that the
> > incremental directories that an 'amadmin info' shows for the same
> > partition exist.  When "amrecover" is executed, it shows "found amanda
> > directory" from all expected holding disks and holding disk directories
> > and the directories needed for this restore in particular.  If I
> > remove the holding disk from amanda.conf that "holds" levels 6 and 7,
> > then no levels after the original "tape" are listed in the planned
> > restore.
>

> Same initial thought as JLM, perhaps nothing changed in the directory
> during the incremental levels 1-5.
>

> > This particular partition was backed up in 2005-05-04.  On the first
> > holding disk, the latest level 1 is in inc directory 20050509, the
> > latest level 2 is in 20060510, and then the rest of the incremental
> > directories on the holding disk (until the next holding disk) are level
> > 3's for this partition.  If I include only this one holding disk in my
> > amanda.conf, this is what the "amindexd.20070417184329.debug" shows
> > (full file attached)
> >

> I would presume that this is a fairly stable, unchanging storage.
> I base that guess on the fact that the last full backup was May 2005
> and the first incremental a year later in May of 2006.  Another clue
> is that the incrementals haven't been moved from the holding disk
> to tape (physical or virtual) in the last year.

So, as I continue to look at the problem, I haven't seen before
that an amflush is require for the directories on holding disk to
be included in a recovery yet . . . this kinda of seems to be the
case now (that is as much a question as it is a statement).  I see
in the amindexd.###.debug log that it is trying to "gzip -dc ... "
files in the amanda index directory for the disk being restored
yet these files don't exist.  For instance, the log says this is
being executed

         /bin/gzip -dc '/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6.gz'
2>/dev/null | sort > '/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6'

yet "/etc/amanda/cass/index/cass246/_/20070331_6.gz" does not exist;
It is instead on the holding disk.  Does it not exist because I have
never run amflush?  I swear I've performed tens of recoveries that
included files on the holding disk that were (obviously) never
amflushed.  I'm so confused!

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu