Amanda-Users

Re: Compression

2007-04-05 20:19:42
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Sebastian Henrich <shss AT gmx DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:06:13 +0200
At 01:36 05.04.2007, you wrote:
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 01:05:47AM +0200, Sebastian Henrich wrote:

> So the best way will be to delete the configuration and start from
> the beginning? Does anybody know how this could happened and how to
> avoid such problems? I don't want to restart the backup from the
> beginning every 3 months.

Didn't you say the problem occured when you switched from HW to SW
compression?  I've not heard anyone else encountering problems,
so your's may have been an edge case.  But presumably you will
not change from HW to SW compression every 3 months.

You got me wrong! I never used HW compression. I started with software compression from the beginning. But I had to switch off hardware compression by hand before the first use. I would feel better if I find the cause of my problems.

I recall 4 alternatives to deleting the configuration (with warrenties
commensurate to the cost of the software).  If none of them suits your
fancy, perhaps a start-over will.

 - lie to amanda about the tapelength until things settle down
 - delete the curinfo files for the troubling DLE and accept the
   default comp-rate
 - ditto and set a comp-rate in our amanda.conf
 - edit the curinfo files and add a set of fake historical comp-rates

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)