Amanda-Users

Re: Compression

2007-04-04 22:23:41
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:19:46 -0400
On Wednesday 04 April 2007, Jon LaBadie wrote:

>> > You may be getting bit by something I ran into several years ago
>> > now.
>> >
>> > If the tape is written with the hardware compression on, then the
>> > drive will detect that and turn the compression on even if you think
>> > its turned off.

>> I diabled the hardware compression before I used the tapes for the
>> first time like it's described in the docs. mt shows me that hardware
>> compression is off after inserting a tape. So I think that it's really
>> disabled.
>
>The switch may not occur unless the drive actually attempts to read the
> tape. Amanda does an initial read before any attempt to write to a tape
> to check if it is actually an amanda tape and is the expected amanda
> tape.

That has not been my experience Jon.  The drive reads that hidden header
to see what the tape is before it acknowledges it and allows us access to
it, and it is during that recognition read that the compression bit was
getting turned back on.  I could turn it off, insert a tape, and if the
tape had it set, by the time the drive had recognized the tape, the
compression bit had been set back to on.  The amcheck read hadn't come
into the scene yet.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Computer programmers do it byte by byte.