Amanda-Users

amrecover using invalid ssh options on Solaris?

2007-04-06 13:38:46
Subject: amrecover using invalid ssh options on Solaris?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:27:47 -0400
My amanda 2.5.1p3 installation on Solaris 9 has been doing backups smoothly for several weeks using ssh authentication.

I can also do amrecover on the backup server, where I have sizeable spool capacity, and then move files from there across the network using scp.

However, in trying to configure ssh authentication and use amrecover on the clients, I get:

pilot:/var/tmp# /usr/local/sbin/amrecover command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: PreferredAuthentications
   AMRECOVER Version 2.5.1p3. Contacting server on mormyrid.bio.mor.nsm ...
   [request failed: error sending REQ: write error to : Broken pipe]

A google search indicates that the first error line is an error from ssh. The man pages on Solaris 9 ssh have no indication of an option "PreferredAuthentications". Just for comparison, I ducked into an OpenBSD machine that I have and did a man page on ssh. There is has this option. It is OpenSSH_3.9 with OpenSSL 0.9.7d. If I ask for the version on Solaris 9 (which is based on OpenSSH), I get SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.

So, it seems that amrecover is opening a connection with SSH and then trying to contact the amanda server on that connection and getting a broken pipe error because the SSH connection attempt failed.

I have followed the instructions from http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Configuring_SSH_authentication, and I have set up the amanda_client.conf on the client with the lines:

   conf "daily"            # your config name

   index_server "mormyrid.bio.mor.nsm"     # your amindexd server
   tape_server  "mormyrid.bio.mor.nsm"     # your amidxtaped server
   tapedev      "LIB-162A5"                # your tape device

# auth - authentication scheme to use between server and client.
   #                 Valid values are "bsd", "krb4", "krb5" and "ssh".
   #                 Default: [auth "bsd"]
   auth "ssh"

ssh_keys "/.ssh/id_rsa_amrecover" # your ssh keys file if you use ssh auth

So, is this an amanda bug? Is there a workaround or patch? Or have I done something wrong in my setup? If so, what should I be looking for? I don't want to have to run around to all my Solaris 9 servers and install and configure OpenSSH. Not only would it be a lot of work, but it would complicate my configurations. Sun SSH is working just fine in all other respects. Switching to OpenSSH would have a cascade effect. Sun built tcp-wrappers into their system configuration, as well as various other security items, and if I installed OpenSSH, I would also have to install tcp-wrappers and replicate all the security work on all of my servers.

TIA

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator