Amanda-Users

Re: dumps way too big

2007-03-25 14:25:12
Subject: Re: dumps way too big
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:12:26 -0400
On Sunday 25 March 2007, jp.pozzi AT izzop DOT net wrote:
>Le vendredi 23 mars 2007 à 19:26 -0500, Frank Smith a écrit :
>> jp.pozzi AT izzop DOT net wrote:

>> > Kernel 2.6.16 on the "master" machine, 2.6.18 and 2.6.20 on other
>> > machines.
>> >
>> > Frank Smith asks for the size of tape I am using : it is a virtual
>> > tape on a separate disk whth more than 100G avalaible.
>>
>> The physical disk it's on may be big enough , but is the length of
>> your vtapes in your tapetype set to something larger than 1 GB?
>
>Hello,
>
>I didn't use any tapetype parameter ... I will set one bigger enough and
>have a try.

That's an obvious miss-configuration then.  Here is the stanza I use:
----
runtapes        1   # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger       "chg-disk"
tapedev         "file:/amandatapes/Dailys/"
changerdev      "/dev/null"
changerfile     "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/chg-disk"

tapetype        HARD-DISK
----
This is defined fairly high up in the amanda.conf, then farther down, in
the section that starts with:
# tapetypes
----
define tapetype HARD-DISK {
        comment "WD 200GB drive"
        lbl-templ "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/3hole.ps"
        length 9000 mbytes
}
----
The lbl-templ can be left out, I get a summary sheet on the printer for
every run that I file and that's the form that amanda fills out and
prints.

"/amandarapes/Dailys/" is /dev/hdd2, a 180GB partition mounted to
mountpoint /amandatapes.

>Regards
>
>Storm66

I hope this is helpfull.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it
happens.
                -- Woody Allen