Amanda-Users

Re: dumps way too big

2007-03-23 22:51:08
Subject: Re: dumps way too big
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, jp.pozzi AT izzop DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:42:16 -0400
On Friday 23 March 2007, jp.pozzi AT izzop DOT net wrote:
>Le jeudi 22 mars 2007 à 20:13 -0400, Gene Heskett a écrit :
>> On Thursday 22 March 2007, storm66 AT club-internet DOT fr wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >One backup partly failed with :
>> >
>> >FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>> >  k400  /mnt/d_mails  lev 1  FAILED [dumps way too big, 1025270 KB,
>> > must skip incremental dumps]
>> >  k400  /home/jpp     lev 1  FAILED [dumps way too big, 1116100 KB,
>> > must skip incremental dumps]
>> >  k400  /etc          lev 0  STRANGE
>> >
>> >for some other directories and machines the backup is OK.
>> >What is the problem ?
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >
>> >Storm66
>>
>> Your kernel version please?
>
>Kernel 2.6.16 on the "master" machine, 2.6.18 and 2.6.20 on other
>machines.

Those are clean from the effect I had in mind, except the 2.6.20.4-r1
recent variation of 2.6.20.

>Frank Smith asks for the size of tape I am using : it is a virtual tape
>on a separate disk with more than 100G avalaible.

Ahh, I see.  But what did you specify the size was in your HARD-DISK
definition in your amanda.conf?  Even though there may 100GB available,
amanda still respects the size you set there, when doing the planning.

And in case the planning is a bit off, it checks the used, against the
available, before initiating the move of the next file from the holding
disk to the vtape.  Anytime there has been an overflow at the end of the
last file, this will cause amanda to leave the rest of the data in the
holding disk area.

>Regards
>
>Storm66

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
in than some that do.
                -- Dennis M. Ritchie