Amanda-Users

Re: missing function in amanda?

2007-03-20 13:09:57
Subject: Re: missing function in amanda?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:02:41 -0400
On Tuesday 20 March 2007, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> In my troubleshooting of the 2.6.21-rc* vs tar thinking the whole
>> system is new, where it works normally for any kernel up to 2.6.20.3.
>> I find I'm in need of an amestimate command, to have amdump survey the
>> system and report how much data (before compression obviously) that a
>> dump would generate, but without doing anything to the install other
>> than what it would normally do if it went all the way through the
>> estimate phase plus its scheduling calculations, reporting the results
>> and then exiting without actually doing anything.
>
>Run the 'planner', don't forget to run 'amcleanup' once the planner
> finish.
>
>Jean-Louis

Thanks, Jean-Louis.

It blew up again last night while running a 2.6.20.4-rc1 kernel, so that
narrows it down to the 31 patches between a kernel-2.6.20.3 and
kernel-2.6.20.4-rc1, a much easier bisect than the several hundred
accumulated patches that separate 2.6.20 final from 2.6.21-rc1 where it
blows up full time.  This will be VERY VERY helpfull.  I'm off to copy
backup.sh to estimate.sh and modify it to do exactly that right now.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Politics, like religion, hold up the torches of matrydom to the
reformers of error.
                -- Thomas Jefferson