Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA reports no slots, but there ARE slots!

2007-03-06 16:19:58
Subject: Re: AMANDA reports no slots, but there ARE slots!
From: FL <lengyel AT gmail DOT com>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:09:42 -0500

On 2/22/07, Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw AT amanda DOT org> wrote:
FL schrieb:
> Now that this problem is overcome,

What did now solve it?
chgrp'ing again?

After watching the trouble recur, I see that the device associated with the changer SCSI device ID moved: it was /dev/sg2, today it is /dev/sg1. No changes were made to the Exabyte LTO-2 tape library  or to the SCSI card (or anything else). So there is something I'm failing to understand about udev, SCSI or the Exabyte.

Perhaps during bootup I should attempt

mtx -f /dev/sg0 status
mtx -f /dev/sg1 status

until I have a valid status, and link
/dev/changer to that, then refer to /dev/changer in amanda.conf. That's a workaround: somehow the device assigned to the changer moves on occasion, after a reboot. Perhaps I should be referring to the changer device in some other way (bus number, SCSI ID, lun...).

Thanks again.

FL