Amanda-Users

Re: RAIT vtapes: all slots are suddenly empty

2006-11-30 16:54:12
Subject: Re: RAIT vtapes: all slots are suddenly empty
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:45:38 -0500
On Thursday 30 November 2006 16:11, Toomas Aas wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 30 November 2006 08:19, Uwe M. Kaufmann wrote:
>>> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5)
>>> SuSE Linux 10.0
>>
>> Humm, and why is SuSE serving up such an old version of amanda?
>> IIRC that version does not support vtapes (but somebody will correct
>> me I'm sure), so I'm confused by the names below.  And by your
>> apparent use of the chg-multi utility with vtapes.  Another example:
>
>Actually Amanda 2.4.5 does support vtapes. I have an Amanda config
>currently running version 2.4.4 and using chg-multi, because chg-disk
>didn't exist back when this setup went live, and chg-multi was a
>commonly used workaround for working with vtapes. We're not all as up to
>speed with latest Amanda versions as you are :)

Chuckle, I guess I had that coming.  I was never aware that chg-multi
could be made to use vtapes.  I assume it doesn't use the 'data' linkage
then, but somehow uses the actual tape name given to the directory?

OTOH, maybe its time it 'went live' with a newer version?  IMO, the major
problems over time that occur because of updated utilities are far more
prevalent than problems with amanda itself.  I give you the tar debacles
for almost every new version since 1.13-25, although I used 1.15-1
without any problems.  And that's what FC6 installed, so its in use
again.

I was trying to use real (now that's an oxymoron when referring to DDS2
tapes) tapes till about 2 years ago.  In Seacrate changers.

Thanks for clarifying that Toomas.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: