Amanda-Users

Need help converting to Debian amanda package

2006-11-30 15:17:04
Subject: Need help converting to Debian amanda package
From: "Zembower, Kevin" <kzembowe AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:14:05 -0500
I've had an Amanda system running successfully and mostly problem-free
for the last five years. Because of some firewall issues, I compiled
Amanda from source with some specific flags for ports used. About a year
ago, the firewall issue were removed, and amanda continued to work
without any problems or configuration changes. Just recently, I got a
new server with RHEL4 instead of the Debian servers I normally run. I
decided to try to convert my Amanda system to use the packages provided
by the distributions, since I no longer needed the customization and, as
one amanda-user wrote, the Amanda packages 'just seemed to work.'

I either deleted the amanda-owned files manually, or moved them out of
the way. Then, I installed the amanda-client, -server and -command
Debian sarge packages on the tapehost. Then, I moved the one's I thought
I needed back into place, such as /var/amanda, /etc/amamda and
/tmp/amanda. This was all on centernet (cn2), my Amanda tapehost.

In general, the system seems to be minimally working, but I get this
error:
cn2:/tmp/amanda-dbg# su -s /bin/bash amanda '/usr/sbin/amcheck DBackup'
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps/amanda2: 14596644 KB disk space available, using
14596644 KB
Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 14473792 KB disk space available, using
14473792 KB
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape DBackup39 label ok
Server check took 5.210 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: centernet: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: www: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 34.333 seconds, 2 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p3)
cn2:/tmp/amanda-dbg# date
Thu Nov 30 15:00:59 EST 2006
cn2:/tmp/amanda-dbg#

However, nothing's generated in the /tmp/amanda-dbg directory, and
nothing of any use in the /tmp/amanda directory:

cn2:/tmp/amanda-dbg# ls -ltr
total 384
<snip>
-rw-------  1 amanda disk  2054 Nov 29 18:11
sendbackup.20061129180201.debug
-rw-------  1 amanda disk   206 Nov 29 18:21
amtrmlog.20061129182141.debug
-rw-------  1 amanda disk   553 Nov 29 18:21
amtrmidx.20061129182141.debug
cn2:/tmp/amanda-dbg# cd ../amanda
cn2:/tmp/amanda# ls -ltr
total 32
<snip>
-rw-------  1 backup backup 184 Nov 30 14:30
amcheck.20061130142955.debug
-rw-------  1 backup backup 184 Nov 30 15:00
amcheck.20061130150004.debug
cn2:/tmp/amanda# cat amcheck.20061130150004.debug
amcheck: debug 1 pid 12684 ruid 1001 euid 0: start at Thu Nov 30
15:00:04 2006
amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.856
amcheck: pid 12684 finish time Thu Nov 30 15:00:38 2006
cn2:/tmp/amanda#

Can anyone help me trouble-shoot this problem, starting with where to
find the debug files that would be useful? Right now, I'm not worried
about getting the remote host www to backup.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager
Center for Communication Programs