Amanda-Users

Re: RAIT vtapes: all slots are suddenly empty

2006-11-30 14:43:08
Subject: Re: RAIT vtapes: all slots are suddenly empty
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:30:42 -0500
On Thursday 30 November 2006 08:19, Uwe M. Kaufmann wrote:
>Dear listers,
>
>since today I used a rait vtapes/physical tape configuration without
>problems for some months.
>
>But today all my vtapes are empty, so i can't load a vtape. But they
> aren't empty, because a lot of backups are already in there e.g.
>/amandatapes/daily/vtape4/data. I googled the list archives but i didn't
>found a solution.
>
>How can I convince amanda to accept that all my vtapes still have some
>(valuable!) content?
>
>TIA!
>Uwe
>
>Here's some further information:
>
>jonas:/etc/amanda/daily # su - amanda -c "amcheck daily"
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>WARNING: holding disk /dumps/amanda: only 56767860 kB free (61865984 kB
>requested)
>amcheck-server: slot 4: chg-multi: slot is empty
>amcheck-server: slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty
>amcheck-server: slot 2: chg-multi: slot is empty
>amcheck-server: slot 3: chg-multi: slot is empty
>ERROR: label daily4 or new tape not found in rack (<- OK, I know that)
>       (expecting tape daily4 or a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Server check took 528.390 seconds

528.390 seconds?  Nearly 9 minutes?  Something needs investigated here.
example(although from a vtapes system now):
=====
[root@coyote ~]# su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 91339 MB disk space available, using 93530768 MB
slot 4: read label `Dailys-4', date `20061129230703'
cannot overwrite active tape Dailys-4
slot 5: read label `Dailys-5', date `20061031001001'
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-5 label ok
Server check took 1.276 seconds
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is longer than normal
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 1.033 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.1p2-20061127)
========
The only reason for a delay of that magnitude is if the changer had to
search the whole rack for the next correct tape, but even that is 4x
longer than my changers ever took when the tape wasn't in the magazine.

? Is the changer keeping a log? If so, reading it might be profitable.

>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>Client check: 1 host checked in 10.096 seconds, 0 problems found

This delay has the footprints of a local dns resolution problem which
usually has a timeout period of 10 seconds.  Do you not have that member
of your local network defined in the /etc/hosts file, or some other fault
in name resolution done locally?

>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5)
>SuSE Linux 10.0

Humm, and why is SuSE serving up such an old version of amanda?
IIRC that version does not support vtapes (but somebody will correct me
I'm sure), so I'm confused by the names below.  And by your apparent use
of the chg-multi utility with vtapes.  Another example:
===========
[root@coyote ~]# grep changer /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf
tpchanger       "chg-disk"
changerdev      "/dev/null"
changerfile     "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/chg-disk"
amrecover_changer "chg-disk"
=============
I've removed the commented lines that grep spit out for brevity.

>jonas:/etc/amanda/daily # su - amanda -c "ammt -f
>file:/amandatapes/daily/vtape4 status"
>file:/amandatapes/daily/vtape4 status: ONLINE

But, what about the 'data' link to vtape4, what does it return?
here on my vtapes setup, ammt doesn't even exist:
[root@coyote ~]# su - amanda -c "ammt -f /amandatapes/Dailys/data status"
-bash: ammt: command not found

Its apparently not needed nor built for a vtapes system.  Odd indeed.  But
then this is a locally built from tarball system too.

>jonas:/etc/amanda/daily # cat changerstatus
># multi-changer state cache: DO NOT EDIT!
>curslot 4
>curloaded 0

I do not have such a file, but I do have a chg-disk-access which was
updated by my running of amcheck so it now contains:
[root@coyote ~]# cat /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/chg-disk-access
5

You have me lost, I can't see where you are for all these things that
purport to be trees.

I use a script to build the latest tarball whenever Jean-Louis releases a
new snapshot, and its setup for vtapes.  Edit to suit your system of
course, but as it hasn't been posted for a while, here it is again:
=============cut
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --with-config=Daily \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar

make

cut=================
Unpack the tarball in the /home/amanda directory, as the user amanda.
Keep a copy of this script in that directory, edited to suit your system
of course.  If you don't want to add a user named amanda, then change it
to some other name and ~/name directory. Ditto for the group, but
whatever user you assign must be a member of a suitable powerfull group
similar to disk(uid 6 on this system) By committing it to the script,
your configuration options are set and repeatable as the newer versions
are installed over the older ones as time passes.

Set the exec bit on it, and copy it into the tarballs top directory.
execute the script with a "./gh.cf" or whatever you named it when you
saved it :)

when its done, become root and
#>make install;ldconfig;su amanda -c "amcheck Daily" (or whatever you
named your config in place of "Daily")

You should get a response similar to my example above if your RAID is
properly mounted.

I hope this has been educational, possibly even helpfull.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: