Amanda-Users

RE: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump

2006-10-23 15:06:20
Subject: RE: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump
From: "Lee, Raymond" <Raymond.Lee AT qwest DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:51:34 -0500

> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> writes:
>
> >>However, when I run an amdump that only backs up a 200MB of
> data, I can
> >>see the dumps being written to /dump/amanda, but then it's
> be flushed to
> >>tape automatically at the end of amdump.  I also tried
> "autoflush no"
> >>and commenting the line out (default should be "off",
> right?), but it
> >>always flushes to tape after a dump.  Any ideas?
>
> > Std procedure is to remove the tape until such time as
> there is a tapefull
> > in the holding disk.
>
> With Amanda 2.5.1 the best way might be to overwrite the tapedev
> config variable with a non-existing device (even /dev/null should
> work), like:
>
>   amdump DailySet1 -o tapedev=/dev/null
>
> So the tape is unavailable when you run the (scheduled) amdump but it
> is there when you do the flush.
>
>       Sven

Thanks, Sven.  That's exactly what I'd like to do.  However, when I do
"amdump DailySet1 -o tapedev=/dev/null" option and don't change
"tapedev=/dev/rmt/0cbn" in amanda.conf, amdump is still flushing to
tape.  If I change it in amanda.conf, then amdump won't flush to tape.
But then I have to change it back to /dev/rmt/0cbn before I run amflush.

I noticed that the configuration overwrite section of the man page says
"Most commands allow any amanda.conf configuration parameter to be
overridden on the command line with -o option."  Is the tapedev option
not able to be overwritten or do I have the syntax wrong?

Also, after I run amflush, I still see empty directories on my holding
disk.  I have "usetimestamps yes" in amanda.conf, so the empty
directories are named like "20061023123346".  The email I get after
amflush finishes says:

        *** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!

        The dumps were flushed to tape DailySet1-GCB709S1.
        The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
        .
        .
        .
        .
        NOTES:
          taper: tape DailySet1-GCB709S1 kb 237632 fm 2 [OK]

Is amflush supposed to delete that directory after flushing?  Is that
the reason why the email reported that the dump didn't finish properly?

Thanks,
Ray