Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump

2006-10-20 22:40:04
Subject: Re: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:31:48 -0400
On Friday 20 October 2006 15:25, Lee, Raymond wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 11:14:20AM -0500, Lee, Raymond wrote:
>> > I know Amanda wasn't designed to write to a tape until it's
>>
>> full, but I
>>
>> > need to do that for now since I don't have enough tapes to keep the
>> > number of days of backups that I want.  So as the FAQ suggested, I'd
>> > like to keep all the dumps on the holding disk and just run amflush
>> > whenever the holding disk gets enough data to fill one tape.
>> >
>> > I'm running 2.5.1p1 with the following in amanda.conf:
>> >
>> > autoflush off

>> > However, when I run an amdump that only backs up a 200MB of
>>
>> data, I can
>>
>> > see the dumps being written to /dump/amanda, but then it's
>>
>> be flushed to
>>
>> > tape automatically at the end of amdump.  I also tried
>>
>> "autoflush no"
>>
>> > and commenting the line out (default should be "off",
>>
>> right?), but it
>>
>> > always flushes to tape after a dump.  Any ideas?
>>
>> You've misunderstood the autoflush directive.
>> It is not clearly described in the manpage.

Agreed, it sure isn't.  When I last had a question about it, I read the
src's as best I could and came to the conclusion that it has no argument,
the meer presence of the keyword being the search criteria to enable it.
That was however, about a year or a bit more back up the log, and may have
been addressed with real yes or no settings by now.

>> Writing to tape during an amdump is considered the norm.
>> There is no directive controlling taping or not taping
>> during a dump, that is not considered "flushing".
>>
>> The autoflush directive only affects whether the holding
>> disk is looked at for OLD, previously untaped, dumps.
>> They are then added or not to the list of things to
>> tape this run of amdump.
>>
>> To collect on the holding disk, don't insert at tape.
>
>Thanks for the clarification, John.  It makes sense now.  Maybe a better
>description should be included in future releases?
>
>Thanks,
>Ray
>

>This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential
> or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is
> strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
> communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
> e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: