Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump

2006-10-20 13:21:29
Subject: Re: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:07:03 -0400
On Friday 20 October 2006 12:14, Lee, Raymond wrote:
>I know Amanda wasn't designed to write to a tape until it's full, but I
>need to do that for now since I don't have enough tapes to keep the
>number of days of backups that I want.  So as the FAQ suggested, I'd
>like to keep all the dumps on the holding disk and just run amflush
>whenever the holding disk gets enough data to fill one tape.
>
>I'm running 2.5.1p1 with the following in amanda.conf:
>
>autoflush off
>
>holdingdisk hd1 {
>    comment "main holding disk"
>    directory "/dumps/amanda"
>    use 155 Gb
>    chunksize 1Gb
>    }
>
>define dumptype global {
>    comment "Global definitions"
>    index yes
>    record yes
>    auth "ssh"
>    ssh_keys "/usr/local/var/amanda/.ssh/id_rsa_amdump"
>    exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/exclude_from_backups.txt"
>    holdingdisk yes
>}
>
>However, when I run an amdump that only backs up a 200MB of data, I can
>see the dumps being written to /dump/amanda, but then it's be flushed to
>tape automatically at the end of amdump.  I also tried "autoflush no"
>and commenting the line out (default should be "off", right?), but it
>always flushes to tape after a dump.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Ray

Std procedure is to remove the tape until such time as there is a tapefull
in the holding disk.  For this to work correctly, see the man page and
search for "reserve" and adjust that value accordingly.  The default is
100% and thats NOT going to work in this scenario.

>This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential
> or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is
> strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
> communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
> e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: