Amanda-Users

autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump

2006-10-20 12:18:56
Subject: autoflush off, but still flushing to tape after amdump
From: "Lee, Raymond" <Raymond.Lee AT qwest DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:14:20 -0500
I know Amanda wasn't designed to write to a tape until it's full, but I
need to do that for now since I don't have enough tapes to keep the
number of days of backups that I want.  So as the FAQ suggested, I'd
like to keep all the dumps on the holding disk and just run amflush
whenever the holding disk gets enough data to fill one tape.

I'm running 2.5.1p1 with the following in amanda.conf:

autoflush off

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/dumps/amanda"
    use 155 Gb
    chunksize 1Gb
    }

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    record yes
    auth "ssh"
    ssh_keys "/usr/local/var/amanda/.ssh/id_rsa_amdump"
    exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/exclude_from_backups.txt"
    holdingdisk yes
}

However, when I run an amdump that only backs up a 200MB of data, I can
see the dumps being written to /dump/amanda, but then it's be flushed to
tape automatically at the end of amdump.  I also tried "autoflush no"
and commenting the line out (default should be "off", right?), but it
always flushes to tape after a dump.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ray