Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with gtar

2006-10-13 10:24:15
Subject: Re: Problems with gtar
From: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:13:56 -0600
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 03:32:12PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > You need to use a more recent Amanda, which can handle the new incremental
> > format used by tar 1.15.
>
> Of course. It's friday.  I understood the error message about gtar
> accessing the file itself, but the file *contains* time-stamps and
> inode-numbers, and it's when reading and decoding the values, it notices
> the file is corrupt (because older amanda versions copied the file line
> by line, but now the format changed to some binary format, and the line
> by line copy damages the file).

How about just deleting the offending files? Would amanda/tar then
build new ones, which would be compatible with the tar 1.15 file
format?

> > Apart from this, there are other bugs in tar 1.15 (at least the Debian
> > version
> > ignores --one-file-system when doing incrementals), that's why I reverted to
> > 1.14.
>
> Still good advice, until that bug gets fixed too.

Wonderful.

Meanwhile, the Fedora powers that be have decided that amanda 2.5
won't go into FC5, but it is in FC6. FC6 is to be released some time
in October. I shall do my usual careful testing before I have it on my
amanda server, so it may be a month or more before I have amanda
2.5. Arggh.