Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with gtar

2006-10-13 09:28:34
Subject: Re: Problems with gtar
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:17:33 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:21:14PM +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:
> > I've been using Amanda for a couple of months and it has all been
> > working beautifully, but in the last few days I've been seeing some
> > errors connected with gtar:
> >

> > sendbackup: info end
> > ? gtar: /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/rollins_home_1.new:1: Invalid time
> > stamp
> > ? gtar: /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/rollins_home_1.new:2: Invalid inode
> > number
> > | gtar: ./nick/.evolution/cache/tmp/spamd-socket-path-M7CcHJ: socket
>
> > rollins      /home       1 FAILED
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > (brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.5p1)
>
> I have been seeing the same thing for about two weeks.
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 5, and the same version of Amanda. Last night
> my computer crashed, so I ran fsck on everything. There were numerous
> errors on my / file system, where /var/lib/amanda resides. If those
> were real errors I would think that fsck would have caught them.
>
> I note in my yum.log:
>
> Oct 07 08:58:06 Updated: tar.i386 2:1.15.1-15.FC5
>
> I started seeing those error messages after October 7.
>
> Possibly this is a bug in the latest FC5 tar? I'll check bugzilla
> later today.
>
> Things I have not yet tried: rolling back to the previous version of
> tar; deleting the offending files.

You need to use a more recent Amanda, which can handle the new incremental
format used by tar 1.15.

Apart from this, there are other bugs in tar 1.15 (at least the Debian version
ignores --one-file-system when doing incrementals), that's why I reverted to
1.14.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds