Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with gtar

2006-10-13 10:14:42
Subject: Re: Problems with gtar
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:28:40 -0400

I have been seeing the same thing for about two weeks.

I'm running Fedora Core 5, and the same version of Amanda. Last night
my computer crashed, so I ran fsck on everything. There were numerous
errors on my / file system, where /var/lib/amanda resides. If those
were real errors I would think that fsck would have caught them.

I note in my yum.log:

Oct 07 08:58:06 Updated: tar.i386 2:1.15.1-15.FC5

I started seeing those error messages after October 7.

Possibly this is a bug in the latest FC5 tar? I'll check bugzilla
later today.
It's not a tar bug.

amanda-2.5.0p1 and previous are incompatible with the newer tar.
You should downgrade your tar or upgrade amanda to 2.5.1p1.

Things I have not yet tried: rolling back to the previous version of
tar; deleting the offending files.
You will also need to remove the file without the '.new' suffix. You should keep only the files that are pure ascii, remove all binary files.

Jean-Louis