Amanda-Users

Re: "selfcheck request timed out" WAS Re: Running amanda client only

2006-09-13 13:10:53
Subject: Re: "selfcheck request timed out" WAS Re: Running amanda client only
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: up AT 3 DOT am
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:00:34 -0500
up AT 3 DOT am wrote:
> Replying to my own post (sorry, but I'm getting desperate here), I took
> the advice of the FAQ-O-Matic and installed lsof and ran this command:
>
> su-2.05b# lsof -uamanda
>
> There was no output.  Should there have been?  Does this mean that amandad
> is not running?

No, amandad should not be running except during a backup.  When the server
connects to the amanda port on the client inetd starts amandad.

> This is what I have in my /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> amanda   dgram  udp  wait  amanda /usr/local/libexec/amandad  amandad
>
> inetd.conf has beek killed and restarted, the client even
> rebooted...anything?

Have you tried running /usr/local/libexec/amandad from the command line
on the client (it should just sit there and eventually time out and
return your prompt, or immediately exit if you hit a key)?  Perhaps
you're missing a library (or need to run ldconfig or whatever is
needed to update the dynamic library cache on your platform).
Does the system log inetd even running amandad?
Does amandad run and create anything in /tmp/amanda?

Frank

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 up AT 3 DOT am wrote:

>>> No, for client only amandad is needed.
>> Then I cannot figure out why I'm getting "selfcheck request timed out"
>> from that client.  The path in inetd.conf is correct, as is the user
>> (amanda) and /tmp/amanda is owned by amanda and has debug files there
>> (just config info).  .amandaclients has localhost.fqdn as well as
>> hostname.fqdn.  That client IS running alot of IP addresses on it, but
>> I've done that before with no trouble.
>>
>> Here is amcheck -c output:
>>
>> su-2.05b$ amcheck -c weekly
>>
>> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>> --------------------------------
>> ERROR: old.amanda.client: [host someIP.comcastbiz.net: hostname lookup
>> failed]
>> WARNING: new.amanda.client: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>> Client check: 2 hosts checked in 30.153 seconds, 2 problems found
>>
>> I understand the first error from the old client...there is no forward DNS
>> on that IP (BTW, is there a way around that?  Just have it look at IP
>> address?).  I can't figure out the cause of the second one...I went
>> through everything on the FAQ-O-Matic about it...
>>
>> James Smallacombe                  PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
>> up AT 3 DOT am
>> http://3.am
>>

> James Smallacombe                   PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
> up AT 3 DOT am
> http://3.am

Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673