Amanda-Users

Re: Why didn't my backup work (the way I thought it should)?

2006-09-13 12:55:12
Subject: Re: Why didn't my backup work (the way I thought it should)?
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: "Zembower, Kevin" <kzembowe AT jhuccp DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:08:34 +0200
Zembower, Kevin wrote:
 I thought that after all this, I'd be done. However, I'm discovering
pockets of files and directories that seem to have never made it to the
backup tapes in the first place. Some examples:
--/service/tinydns, dnscache, qmail-send, ... All these were soft links
to the files, so from the recent discussion, they wouldn't have been
backed up by tar. Is there a recommended procedure for dealing with
this? Would using 'dump' have prevented this?

I must have missed something. Symbolic links are supposed to be backed up by gnutar (as links obviously, not the files they point to), independently of where they point or, for that matter, whether their target exists or not. If that's not what you observe, or what the consensus on the list indicates, I think there's something wrong.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29