Amanda-Users

"selfcheck request timed out" WAS Re: Running amanda client only

2006-09-13 07:53:57
Subject: "selfcheck request timed out" WAS Re: Running amanda client only
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:44:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Toomas Aas wrote:

> up AT 3 DOT am wrote:
>
> > The server is reporting that client down, so I checked and noticed that
> > the FBSD port for the amanda-client did not install amindexd or
> > amidxtaped, although it did install amandad.  Are all 3 needed for a
> > client?
>
> No, for client only amandad is needed.

Then I cannot figure out why I'm getting "selfcheck request timed out"
from that client.  The path in inetd.conf is correct, as is the user
(amanda) and /tmp/amanda is owned by amanda and has debug files there
(just config info).  .amandaclients has localhost.fqdn as well as
hostname.fqdn.  That client IS running alot of IP addresses on it, but
I've done that before with no trouble.

Here is amcheck -c output:

su-2.05b$ amcheck -c weekly

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: old.amanda.client: [host someIP.comcastbiz.net: hostname lookup
failed]
WARNING: new.amanda.client: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 30.153 seconds, 2 problems found

I understand the first error from the old client...there is no forward DNS
on that IP (BTW, is there a way around that?  Just have it look at IP
address?).  I can't figure out the cause of the second one...I went
through everything on the FAQ-O-Matic about it...

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am