Amanda-Users

Re: "selfcheck request timed out" WAS Re: Running amanda client only

2006-09-13 13:21:04
Subject: Re: "selfcheck request timed out" WAS Re: Running amanda client only
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:15:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Frank Smith wrote:

> up AT 3 DOT am wrote:
> > Replying to my own post (sorry, but I'm getting desperate here), I took
> > the advice of the FAQ-O-Matic and installed lsof and ran this command:
> >
> > su-2.05b# lsof -uamanda
> >
> > There was no output.  Should there have been?  Does this mean that amandad
> > is not running?
>
> No, amandad should not be running except during a backup.  When the server
> connects to the amanda port on the client inetd starts amandad.
>
> > This is what I have in my /etc/inetd.conf:
> >
> > amanda   dgram  udp  wait  amanda /usr/local/libexec/amandad  amandad
> >
> > inetd.conf has beek killed and restarted, the client even
> > rebooted...anything?
>
> Have you tried running /usr/local/libexec/amandad from the command line
> on the client (it should just sit there and eventually time out and
> return your prompt, or immediately exit if you hit a key)?  Perhaps
> you're missing a library (or need to run ldconfig or whatever is
> needed to update the dynamic library cache on your platform).
> Does the system log inetd even running amandad?
> Does amandad run and create anything in /tmp/amanda?

Thanks for your reply.  I did run it from the command line and it
eventually times out, although it does not exit immediately if I type
something.  debug files are created in /tmp/amanda, but not with any
useful info...just how it was compiled.  There is absolutely nothing in
/var/log/messages about amanda(d).  I thought ldconfig was run upon
boot...in any case, if I'm missing some kind of lib, wouldn't amanda
complain about it when trying to build it?

Thanks again for any help...

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am