Amanda-Users

Re: Directory too large for single tape.

2006-09-11 05:48:21
Subject: Re: Directory too large for single tape.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:39:30 -0400
On Monday 11 September 2006 01:48, Stephen Carville wrote:
>I've been using Amanda for about five years now.  The only problems I've
>ever had are because a single dumps has to fit on a single tape.  I
>usually solved this by using tar, client side compression, and breaking
>up the partitions into smaller chunks.  However, I seem to have reached
>a limit.
>
>One of my Oracle RMAN backups now stands at 109G.  Even with compression
>this requires 44G to 45G of space and will not fit on an AIT-2 tape.
>The backups are dumped into a single directory and I don't know of any
>way to split a directory with no subdirectories into two dumps.  If
>there is, I'd appreciate knowing how.  Any other sugesstions are welcome.
>
>I'm using:
>
>build: VERSION="Amanda-2.4.5"
>        BUILT_DATE="Fri Jul 22 07:36:58 PDT 2005"
>        BUILT_MACH="Linux amazon.totalflood.com 2.6.11-1.35_FC3smp #1
>SMP Mon Jun 13 01:17:35 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux"
>        CC="gcc"
>        CONFIGURE_COMMAND="'./configure' '--with-user=amanda'
>'--with-group=adm'"
>paths: bindir="/usr/local/bin" sbindir="/usr/local/sbin"
>        libexecdir="/usr/local/libexec" mandir="/usr/local/man"
>        AMANDA_TMPDIR="/tmp/amanda" AMANDA_DBGDIR="/tmp/amanda"
>        CONFIG_DIR="/usr/local/etc/amanda" DEV_PREFIX="/dev/"
>        RDEV_PREFIX="/dev/" DUMP="/sbin/dump"
>        RESTORE="/sbin/restore" VDUMP=UNDEF VRESTORE=UNDEF
>        XFSDUMP=UNDEF XFSRESTORE=UNDEF VXDUMP=UNDEF VXRESTORE=UNDEF
>        SAMBA_CLIENT="/usr/bin/smbclient" GNUTAR="/bin/gtar"
>        COMPRESS_PATH="/bin/gzip" UNCOMPRESS_PATH="/bin/gzip"
>        LPRCMD="/usr/bin/lpr" MAILER="/usr/bin/Mail"
>        listed_incr_dir="/usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists"
>defs:  DEFAULT_SERVER="amazon.totalflood.com"
>        DEFAULT_CONFIG="DailySet1"
>        DEFAULT_TAPE_SERVER="amazon.totalflood.com"
>        DEFAULT_TAPE_DEVICE="/dev/null" HAVE_MMAP HAVE_SYSVSHM
>        LOCKING=POSIX_FCNTL SETPGRP_VOID DEBUG_CODE
>        AMANDA_DEBUG_DAYS=4 BSD_SECURITY USE_AMANDAHOSTS
>        CLIENT_LOGIN="amanda" FORCE_USERID HAVE_GZIP
>        COMPRESS_SUFFIX=".gz" COMPRESS_FAST_OPT="--fast"
>        COMPRESS_BEST_OPT="--best" UNCOMPRESS_OPT="-dc"

There is a way to have it do this, using the regex functions to break it
down into something that could split it in the middle of the alphabet, or
into many smaller ones.  See 'man regex' to get started.  However its not
something I've ever done, I just know the archives of this list have had
quite a few examples of howto do something like this back in the mists of
time when tapes were something like 4GB dds2's.  You might be able to use
something from this link:
<http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Main_Page#Useful_Amanda_tools>
to test variations in your search patterns to see howto best do it at your
site.  In particular the testgtar script there might be usefull.

Also, there is a patch for tape spanning that might be usefull. Whether or
not it could be applied in your case, I haven't a clue.  I believe John
Stang did that IIRC.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: