Amanda-Users

Re: Debian packages for Amanda

2006-09-11 05:08:20
Subject: Re: Debian packages for Amanda
From: Ronan KERYELL <Ronan.Keryell AT enstb DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:56:39 +0200

    >> Wouldn't I need to at least tell it where the backup server is?
    >>

    Jon> The server initiates the backup session, so the client does
    Jon> not need server knowledge for this.

Yes, but often an authentication scheme is used where you need the server
to be specified on the client side, for example.

    Jon> For recovery a default server is compiled in, but that can be
    Jon> overridden with command line arguments.

    Jon> The system I'm typing this on was my backup server, and of course
    Jon> a client of itself.  I have now moved the amanda service to a
    Jon> different computer.  When I did, I made no changes to the current
    Jon> system.  It is just responds as a client when the new server
    Jon> contacts it.

I guess then you need to modify some entry in the DNS if you have a
dedicated entry (IP) for the AMANDA service (because I'm not sure
amandahost can deal with CNAME for security reasons) or you use an
authentication based for example on a pure public-private key approach.
--
  Ronan KERYELL               |\/  Tel:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.14.15
  Département Informatique    |/)  Fax:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.12.82