Amanda-Users

Re: Debian packages for Amanda

2006-09-09 00:25:51
Subject: Re: Debian packages for Amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:23:45 -0400
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 03:58:11PM -0500, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:01:10AM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
>
> | On a Debian system, the backup user is a member of the appropriate
> | system groups to allow backups to function, i.e. a member of 'disk'
> |
> | For what it's worth, on a Debian Stable system, I've found that the
> | AMANDA packages Just Work very nicely, especially on the clients, since
> | there is basically no configuration required.
>
> Wouldn't I need to at least tell it where the backup server is?

The server initiates the backup session, so the client does
not need server knowledge for this.

For recovery a default server is compiled in, but that can
be overridden with command line arguments.

The system I'm typing this on was my backup server, and of
course a client of itself.  I have now moved the amanda service
to a different computer.  When I did, I made no changes to
the current system.  It is just responds as a client when the
new server contacts it.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)