Amanda-Users

Re: Release of amanda-2.5.1

2006-09-11 04:34:49
Subject: Re: Release of amanda-2.5.1
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:24:01 +0200 (CEST)
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 03:34:42PM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
>
> >    * Works with GNU tar 1.15.91 - work with new gtar state file format.
>
> Can someone please explain what this exactly means?

The format to store information about the incrementals was changed. Since
Amanda made some assumptions about this format (while she shouldn't have cared,
and just considered it as opaque files), this broke Amanda.
After the fix, Amanda just treats the files as opaque files.

But be careful, at least the tar 1.15.91-2 from Debian is broken: it ignores
the --one-file-system option when doing incrementals, causing exorbitant backup
sizes for any level > 0. I don't know about the upstream version, but since
this bug has been reported almost 2 months ago, I'm afraid that one is broken,
too.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds