Amanda-Users

Re: Debian packages for Amanda

2006-09-08 17:04:52
Subject: Re: Debian packages for Amanda
From: Phil Howard <phil-amanda-users AT ipal DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:58:11 -0500
On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:01:10AM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:

| On Friday, 08.09.2006 at 01:28 -0500, Phil Howard wrote:
|
| > These packages configure the user to run Amanda as "backup".  But it
| > seems the "backup" user also does other things.  Does anyone see any
| > possible conflict in this?
|
| I'd say "may be used for other things", rather than "also does other
| things", really.
|
| To be honest, a user called backup makes more sense than a user called
| 'amanda' - we used to have a staff member called Amanda who existed
| prior to an AMANDA installation and things got ... messy.

I can imagine.

| On a Debian system, the backup user is a member of the appropriate
| system groups to allow backups to function, i.e. a member of 'disk'
|
| For what it's worth, on a Debian Stable system, I've found that the
| AMANDA packages Just Work very nicely, especially on the clients, since
| there is basically no configuration required.

Wouldn't I need to at least tell it where the backup server is?

| Feel free to ask further related questions, because I've been using
| AMANDA on Debian systems for many years...

I'm also trying to document the steps.  This server may not actually be
used, but rather, someone with less experience than I (which is not very
much with either Amanda or Debian) may be re-installing everything by my
instructions.  Amanda is very flexible, so I don't know how specific I
can be if they change things.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |