Amanda-Users

Re: using disk instead of tape

2006-09-05 12:17:22
Subject: Re: using disk instead of tape
From: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
To: Phil Howard <phil-amanda-users AT ipal DOT net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:09:10 -0600
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:09:05AM -0500, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 05:42:01PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
>
> | In addition, it would make bare metal recovery more difficult. If you
> | back up to a file system any Linux live CD (finnix, knoppix...) can
> | read, recovery is easy: the tools you need are already on the live
> | CD. The tools include a suitable file system driver for the
> | partition. Back up to a bare partition, and you would need special
> | tricks or possibly special software to read it.
>
> If tar can read from raw tape, it can read from raw disk.  I've already
> done that several times for various things.  Bare metal recovery will
> need at a minimum the tar or dump utility depending on format used.

If you write to raw disk (e.g. tar -cf /dev/sdc.. ), how do you get
more than one tarball onto the partition? As far as I know, there is
nothing analogous to the no rewind tape device for disk drives. Amanda
is quite capable of generating multiple tarballs per backup. So you
will need multiple partitions, each large enough to hold the largest
possible tarball.