Amanda-Users

Re: using disk instead of tape

2006-09-05 05:15:05
Subject: Re: using disk instead of tape
From: Phil Howard <phil-amanda-users AT ipal DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 04:09:05 -0500
On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 05:42:01PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

| In addition, it would make bare metal recovery more difficult. If you
| back up to a file system any Linux live CD (finnix, knoppix...) can
| read, recovery is easy: the tools you need are already on the live
| CD. The tools include a suitable file system driver for the
| partition. Back up to a bare partition, and you would need special
| tricks or possibly special software to read it.

If tar can read from raw tape, it can read from raw disk.  I've already
done that several times for various things.  Bare metal recovery will
need at a minimum the tar or dump utility depending on format used.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |