Amanda-Users

Re: Can I change the /tmp/amanda dir somewhere on the client host to another mount point as I have disabled executables in /tmp dir

2006-09-05 10:34:16
Subject: Re: Can I change the /tmp/amanda dir somewhere on the client host to another mount point as I have disabled executables in /tmp dir
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:28:23 +0200
On 2006-09-05 14:49, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator wrote:
Hi List

Got a good one here!

Mi boss decode to tighten up are new web server which is due to be
commissioned soon thus when I re partitioned the hard disk I created new
disks and thus create a /tmp dir mounted on /dev/hda9 Thus here is my /etc/ftsab thus I stopped the possibilities of runing
any executables from the /tmp directory but thus amanda cant create
selfchecks in /tmp/amanda
/dev/hda9/tmp   reiserfs  noexec,auto,nouser,rw,async,nosuid       1 2

Why do you think that amanda tries to "execute" a program from /tmp/amanda? It just writes some debugging information there.
And it writes a temporary file used as value for the --exclude-from
option to gnutar (if excluding anything).  But nothing is being
executed there, AFAIK.
Some (all?) programs put the working directory there too (at least
some years ago, I did find some core dumps there -- ddrwxrwxrwt idn't verify
in recent versions if this is still the case).

Do you mean that Amanda stops working when the "noexec" flag is set?
Or is it just that you had wrong permissions on /tmp after mounting?
(should be 1777:  drwxrwxrwt )

Thus I am using amanda default program using Yast2 So is there a
parameter I can change on the client to use and create another directory
for example /usr/tmp/amanda which /usr directory has fstab entry as
below

/dev/hda8  /usr  reiserfs   acl,user_xattr  1 2

No parameter, you have to recompile:

  ./configure ... --with-tmpdir=/usr/tmp/amanda ...

Actually two configure options can be used:
one to put the temporary files, an another to enable debugging
and specify where those debuggingfiles should be:
  --with-tmpdir=...
  --with-debugging=...    (defaults to value of --with-tmpdir)

btw, Debian puts them in /var/lib/amanda, good enough?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *