Amanda-Users

AW: AW: Question about dumbcycle, tapecycle and runspercycle

2006-07-26 01:45:36
Subject: AW: AW: Question about dumbcycle, tapecycle and runspercycle
From: Sebastian Kösters <skoesters AT sino DOT de>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:35:49 +0200
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 05:46:45PM +0200, Sebastian Kösters wrote:
>> I forgot to say.
>>
>> I did that because my backup size is between 40 and 160 GB each tape,
>>every
>> day. So i set it to 300 to guarantee that the end of the tape is never
>> reached and that i do not get the error "tape full".
>>
>> Hope you unterstand what i mean
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >all together i have 2 TB.
>> >
>> >I use 8 configs (4 with 14 tapecycles each and 4 with 1 tapecycle each).
>> >
>> >In each config i told amanda to use a maximum of 300GB.
>> >

>OK, I'm confused.
>
>A typical amanda installation has a single config, not 8.
>Maybe a second one for special purposes, like off-site archives.
>But seldom (?never?) 8.
>
>What do you mean by a config?
>

>A tapecycle of 1 is never a good idea.  It means as soon as you start
>a backup, you are destroying the only backup you have of those data.
>
>--
>Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
> JG Computing
> 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
> Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

With config i mean the amanda.conf files in the subdirectorys in /etc/amanda

I have 8 of this sudirectorys. I did that to seperate the backups.

1 config is for non-critical machines (low netusage, incrementel, tapecycle
14)

1 config is for our high-critical mashines (high netusage, incrementel,
tapecycle 14)

1 config is specialy for our Outlook PST files on a seperate "PST-Server"
(incrementel, about 100GB for a Level 0 Backup)

1 config is only for our samba Servers which have critical data saved on
their hdd´s so they are very critical too.

This 4 Backups run every weekday.

The other 4 configs are the "same" as above but they only do a Level 0
Backup of every Server only on Saturday.

I splitted it into 8 configs to seperate the disklists, netusage....

Which tapecycle should i set? 2 or more?