Amanda-Users

Re: Question about dumbcycle, tapecycle and runspercycle

2006-07-25 11:40:22
Subject: Re: Question about dumbcycle, tapecycle and runspercycle
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:33:10 -0400
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:53:10AM +0200, Sebastian Kösters wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> That helped me.
>
> I do the backup only weekdays so i set tapecycle to 14, runspercycle to 5
> and dumpcycle to 7.
>
> Runtapes is set to 1.
>
> I use 300GB Vtapes....thats enough for my Backups.

Things are easier to follow when you reply either after
the comments or in line with the comments.

for the four parameters seems appropriate.

That would mean, barring any unexpected problems like
client down, network down, ..., that any 5 consecutive
tapes (corresponding to any 7 day period) should contain
at least one level 0 dump of each of your DLEs.

As you expect to have 14 tapes, that would mean you have
just under 3 weeks worth of backups available.

A recommendation for startup.  When you begin, you will
create a disklist of all your DLEs (disklist entries).
If you create that and start your initial first dump,
every single DLE will have to get a level 0 dump immed-
iately.  Not an ideal situation.  I would suggest that
after creating your disklist, at a '#' to the front of
every line to comment them out.  Before doing your
first amdump, remove the # from about 40% of them,
including at least one from every client.  The second
night remove another 40% and on the third night the rest.
That will give amanda a head start on setting up its
final "balanced" schedule of full and incrementals.

You indicate you use 300GB vtapes.  Each vtape is 300GB?
I.e. 4.2 TB?  Thats a lot of storage.  Or might you mean
your vtapes will be on a 300GB drive?  With 14 of them,
each will be about 20GB.

If the latter, you might also consider if your data will fit.
Basically you need room for all your level 0's backups in
5 vtapes (5 runspercycle) so that will be 100GB of vtape.
Some of that 100GB is also needed for incrementals, how much
depends on how active your systems are.

Assuming the above numbers, I'd estimate your amanda installation
will be capable of backing up 50-70GB of client data.

Of course, if your vtapes are really 300GB, recalculate ;)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)