Amanda-Users

RE: A question on compression

2006-06-28 14:11:37
Subject: RE: A question on compression
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Matt Emmott <memmott AT jerkychew DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:06:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 9:48am, Matt Emmott wrote

define dumptype user-tar {
   root-tar
   comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
   priority medium
}

So if I understand correctly, I should add the compress line into the
user-tar section? Since it's a Samba mount and not a native Amanda backup
per se, should I be using a "server" compression rather than a "client" one?

Actually, you can just your user comp-user-tar dumptype. The "client" in the case of samba backups is actually the *nix box running smbclient, not the windoze box. So it'll be the *nix box doing the gzipping for 'compress client'.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering