Amanda-Users

Re: A question on compression

2006-06-28 13:35:17
Subject: Re: A question on compression
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>, acehigh AT insightbb DOT com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:26:06 -0500
Michael Loftis wrote:

--On June 27, 2006 3:42:10 PM -0400 Matt Emmott <memmott AT jerkychew DOT com> wrote:

Hi,

I’m running Amanda 2.4.2 p2 on a Red Hat 8 server. The backups were set
up before my time, and I’m trying to wrap my head around how the
compression is set up & why it isn’t working for some backups. We’re
backing up 2 clients – One is a Red Hat server running Amanda, and the
other is a Windows server that I connect to over a Samba mount at
/home/windows_server_name. It’s the Samba mount that isn’t
compressing.

You've answered your own question below. Three of them are configured to use a different dump-type, one that probably doesn't do compression. It all has to do with the dump types.

And one should look at the data to see whay that choice was made in the first place.

Its of little use to help heat your environment by spinning the cpu at 100% to get an additional 5% compression, or possibly even a slight expansion, on a directory tree full of tar.gz's and/and rpm's.