Amanda-Users

Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

2006-06-19 11:06:27
Subject: Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:59:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 at 4:31pm, Cyrille Bollu wrote

But, when we purchased the backup server I agreed to follow my boss'
solution (it's always him you known ;-p) to buy that cheaper server with
maximum 1,5TB RAID5 (6*300GB) instead of that nice DAS with up to 3,9TB
RAID5. So, to save space I created one big volume containing both the OS
and the data.

What type of drives, and what RAID card? What OS/distro are we talking, and what SCSI card for the tape drive?

In a configuration where amanda only backup local (SCSI) drives, are there
any benefits from using a holding disk?

Not that I can think of. And especially with an LTO3 drive, it's really only going to hurt you.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering