Amanda-Users

Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

2006-06-20 13:02:42
Subject: Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:54:51 +0200

owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org a écrit sur 20/06/2006 15:39:01 :

> There are ext3 mount options you can play with, as well as options in the
> RAID controller.  All of that can be non-destructive.  There are also some
> mke2fs options one can play with.

You're thinking about "noatime", aren't you?

What else? block-size at filesystem creation? bytes-per-inodes?

I think the options of my RAID controller are rights. Except maybe that its read-policy mode is set to "adaptive" instead of "read-ahead only". And I could also increase the strip size from 64k to 128k.

However, I doubt that only tweaking these parameters will give me the performance boost I need.

Regards,

Cyrille