Amanda-Users

Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

2006-06-19 10:37:26
Subject: Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:59:20 +0200

Wow...That's better:

[root@srv-fhq-bkp cron.d]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst0 bs=2048k count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out

real    0m27.593s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.660s

speed is 75MB/s!

What a poor hardware configuration I have here....

Cyrille Bollu/FHQ/USERS/FEDASIL

19/06/2006 15:56

Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
cc
amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Objet
Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinningLien

ouch I just ran the test and the speed sank to about 6MB/s...

I guess I'm stretching another component...

grrr...

Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
Envoyé par : owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

19/06/2006 14:59

Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
cc
amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Objet
Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

indeed...

Thank you for your answers Joshua, I will try a "dd" with bs=2048k. Then probably I will compile amanda...

Bouh I don't like to do that in a production environment....

Cyrille

Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>

19/06/2006 14:43

Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
cc
amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Objet
Re: tar's default block size & shoe-shinning

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 at 2:40pm, Cyrille Bollu wrote

> Does anybody knows about the --with-maxtapeblocksize used by RedHat ES
> 3.3?

I doubt it's used, but it's easy enough to find out -- download the SRPM
and look in the spec file.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering