Amanda-Users

RE: Cluster backup

2006-05-31 07:49:35
Subject: RE: Cluster backup
From: "Paul Haldane" <Paul.Haldane AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:40:32 +0100

We had similar behaviour with machines using virtual IP addresses which we
eventually tracked down to inconsistent netmasks.

Taking cyrus1 as an example ...

[root@cyrus1 amanda]# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:85:E7:40:75
          inet addr:128.240.233.72  Bcast:128.240.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

eth0:1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:85:E7:40:75
          inet addr:128.240.233.238  Bcast:128.240.233.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

(note difference in netmasks - eth0 is configured via DHCP, eth0:1 is
configured statically).

When Amanda server (ucsbs2 - also on 128.240.233.x) sends request to cyrus1 the
reply comes back to ucsbs2 from cyrus (which is the address configured on
eth0:1).  I guess this is because the system sees eth0:1 as being more
specific.  Of course the Amanda server just drops the reply as it know that it
didn't ask cyrus for anything.

Making the netmasks consistent resulted in replies coming back from the main
interface.

Of course this doesn't help you as you want replies from the primary machine
address for some DLEs and from the floating address for others.

One suggestion that we had before we realised the issue was the netmask was to
use chbind

http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc?s1=2&s2=6&s3=3&s4=0&full=0&prjstate=1&nodoc=0

or the interface (aka bind) option in xinetd to run multiple instances of the
amanda client each responding on a different address (whether that will
actually cause the responses to come from the right IP address I don't know).

Paul

Paul